Have you ever noticed how one piece of information can change your thoughts, attitude, or day? It doesn't even have to be information pertaining directly to you. It could be something regarding someone else.
I have been challenged lately in the messages I've heard. One thing I am still chewing on regards a very familiar story: Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. My eyes have been opened to many lessons in that passage that I've missed for many years. These three boys are great examples of the dedication God is able to use to glorify Himself. They would not compromise. Being a Christ follower will cause a rub against the culture. This is only the dry outer skin of the onion from this passage--I now know this passage is more about God's glory than how cool Rack, Shack, and Benny are.
So what does this have to do with my Facebook friends list?
Before posting a status we must type in the "what's on your mind?" box. Do we ever stop to think How will what I'm about to type affect someone else? If I consider myself a Christ follower, I should be different than the culture. It is so much easier, however, for those of us who claim Christ (and the culture as a whole) to whine, gripe, and complain about everything. There are days when it seems all I see on Facebook is complaint after complaint; many times that is my own posts. I allow the complaints of others to consume my mind and think they must really hate their life, because all they do is complain. Instead I should be doing what 2 Corinthians 10:5 says: "Destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ." Is my attitude toward the constant negativity I see in my news feed showing dedication to God (as Shad, Mesh, & Abed) or dedication to my flesh?
Zig Ziglar presents an illustration concerning this. He says if he were to walk into my living room and dump garbage on my floor, my reaction would not be very favorable. We would probably have a confrontation, and I would not be the one cleaning up the mess. He makes the connection that when we allow negative influences into our minds we are doing the same thing. The living room is our mind and the garbage is negativity and complaining. He even takes it one step further--rid yourself of these influences. It's not only OK but sometimes necessary to rid yourself of negative influences. That may include music, television shows, even relationships. Or in this case Facebook friends.
Paul even speaks to this, "Bad company corrupts good character" (1 Cor. 15:33).
I am going to commit to being more conscious of what I post for the sake of others. And I challenge you to do the same. Look back over your last 10 status posts. Do they follow the theme of complaining and negativity?
My Facebook is an avenue to remain in contact with family and dear friends who I don't get to see often. Due to my immaturity, I cannot see all the negativity and remain unchanged by it. So where does that leave me? I must work on my dedication to Christ which means my Facebook needs to be weeded. Will that include you?
No comments:
Post a Comment